Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Writing Through the Crap

Life has a funny habit of  making people miserable. Things were definitely working their way toward improving the last couple of months - there was steady work, school was going well, and I was beginning to feel like I was going to make it through this current rough patch more unscathed than usual.

Due to a rather long and confounding chain of events, school is currently being put on hold. It was a decision that had to be made, even if it was not my first choice. At this point in time it is the best choice. With school put on hold, I can focus on the other motivating factor in my life at this point - getting more work.

Work seems ever more difficult to come by. It seems like everyone is out there looking, trying to get their foot in the door somewhere. I have filled out my fair share of applications.  Most of the time I don't hear anything back.  But interestingly, I did receive two emails in the last two weeks for jobs I had applied for months ago. They both decided to go in another direction.  I have been supremely grateful that I am currently employed, and the work I have been seeking is to supplement rather than act as my only income.

All is not doom and gloom however. I did hear back from one company that has my resume. I have an interview tomorrow, 10/01/2014. I am very excited and a little nervous. However, this nervous energy is fueling my desire to achieve more. I am hoping to be fully prepared for the interview tomorrow.  I would love to hear about a start date sooner rather than later.

On the writing front, I just yesterday deleted most of the progress I had made in my current writing project.  Thanks to Scrivener, I still have access to the cut material, but it is safely stored in my trashcan for easy retrieval, should I change my mind.

Normally, this event would be classified by me as a bad thing.  However, I learned as I was writing that the format the project took at the time no longer fits. I am no longer writing a short story.  Instead, I am working on a piece of writing that will end up at least novella length.  This prospect is intimidating, but I am looking forward to seeing how my new idea turns out.  has anyone out there completely changed the format, plot, or characters in their works?  How did it turn out? Am I going to regret the time that I spent changing up the format and the plot to fit my newer idea about how the story should proceed?

No comments:

Post a Comment